Friday 26 July 2013

Weaving Workshop 24th - 25th July 2013

This week I did something amazing. I went on a 2 day Saori weaving workshop run by the lovely Cherrie Stevens in Felixstowe. I had a great time; I got up early and grabbed a coffee on the way to the studio. I sat on the beach and stared at the sea before wandering over to Cherrie's studio, it was well lit and beautifully decorated with her own weavings and creations, as well as gorgeous pieces of fabric from other cultures. I received a warm welcome and met the other women on the course. 

My loom was already warped and we were all shown how that was done (we didn't do it ourselves, as it would have taken forever), we were also introduced to the philosophy of Saori (follow the link to find out more about it) and then we got into weaving. The course fee included materials and Cherrie really had some ace materials. The wools, fibres, fabrics, beads and oddments were all fabulous and I felt really well catered for. During the 2 days (2 mornings 9-1pm) we learnt a few techniques to make interesting textures within the weave. 

Have I mentioned how much I loved it? I loved it. I really did. I don't think I have allowed myself to be that relaxed and creative in years. I just played. Just played with materials and techniques. Its not the most perfect piece of art that I have ever made, but it is a excellent piece of evidence. I have evidence that I have relaxed, learnt loads and most importantly that I had a really great time. I simply cannot recommend Cherrie's course enough.

I based my colours and textural ideas on Australian Aboriginal art. I have always loved the earth tones, textures and patterns.

I'm the one in the middle. See how pleased I am?

The whole thing.

A detail. The buttons were bought for me by my lovely friend Emily from Australia.

Another detail. Check out the lovely pieces of fleece.

No comments:

Post a Comment