Friday 13 September 2013

Weaving, Weaving, Weaving.... Pt. 2

Tomorrow I'm doing an art fair to try and sell some work. Not weaving or fibre art this time. Like before at Art on the Prom, I will be selling small paintings and drawings. Its at the UCS Waterfront building 10-3pm. Scary, but I have a small knitting project to keep me occupied. I have learnt to use double-pointed needles! So I'm going to try and make some chunky legwarmers....

Anyway to continue my weaving post....

My 3rd piece is where I had problems with my warping. I used a wool that was very fluffy the first time I warped the loom for this piece, the fibres stuck together when I tried to move the heddle and actually weave. It was really frustrating and after a few attempts to weave with it I got cross and took the whole thing to pieces. The next day I warped up again using a bog standard acrylic I had lying around. It works. Which is ace and I worked on it for a couple of days, and created 2 lines of Brooks Bouquet (which I am proud of). I also made some loops to give the piece some texture. I tried clasped weft again, which turned out well.

The piece is for Wool Against Weapons which is a very worthy cause. The piece needs to be 60cm x 100cm. Since my loom is 50cm across, I thought I would make 2 pieces at 30cm wide and then sew them together. My piece is a little short (my measurements were clearly inaccurate) but maybe I can crochet an extra bit onto it once its all done. It needs to be done in all pink. Which I am definitely struggling with. There is a bit of blue in my first piece 'cause I wanted to make big bobbles with this ace yarn which has bits of pink in it. I think it will be ok as there is only a bit of blue. Enough blathering, on to the piccys.

The 2 lines of brooks bouquet. So pleased with the way it looks and how stable it feels.

Clasped weft and some white bobbles.

The blue-ish bit with pink bobbles.

Another close-up of the brooks bouquet. Just 'cause I can.

Clasped weft up top and at the bottom.

The 1st piece in full. On my washing line in the garden.

Hope you like it. I will start the 2nd piece on Monday with any luck. And have it all done by the week after if I work hard. I will update you asap.

Sleepy now.....

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, awesome, awesome...Kate...love the BB...it looks so effective I think I'll use it on some edges for a baby blanket that I need to make soon.... re; the piece for wool against weapons... they said don't worry too much about the size as there are a few of us weaving and it's going to be sewn into a big banner to hang over the gates!! I may offer to collect and sew if you fancy helping???
    I love that shawl...I missed it so must keep a better eye on your blog xx

    ReplyDelete